Friday, April 10, 2009

He's Allergic to CATs

Recently, Nick saw a doctor about his allergies.  He is allergic to some animals and produce, but his biggest problem is his itchy eyes during this hay-fever season.  While there, he also told the doctor about a couple areas of sensitivity around his chest.  For this, the doc proscribed a CT (CAT scan).

Tuesday was the big day.  Nick headed up to the clinic on his lunch break, walking 12 blocks.  He didn't realize until there that CTs involve injecting dye into your blood thru an IV.  Nick tends to be a little sensitive about blood, needles, etc.  Let's just say that during labor with Bethelle, Nick was a fantastic support 99% of the time.  The other 1% was spent with him passed out on the floor having a small seizure.  To be fair, he gets the 100% support rating for Rigby's birth.

Back to the CT, he was trying to ignore the needles and talk of blood, but the dye feels really warm in your system, and you just can't forget it's there.  He made it through the procedure and was ready to go.  When they told him he could leave, he said that he felt sick.  He sat down and they gave him some water.  Still sick.  Really sick.  Then he passed out.

The doctors say he wasn't out very long, but when he came to, he was on the floor.  A man was bending down over him, about to do CPR, another was feeling for a pulse, and a third was GETTING OUT THE SHOCK PADDLES!  He ended up not needing either, but they said that he wasn't breathing and they hadn't found a pulse yet (OK, until he woke up at least).

He is perfectly fine now.  In fact, he called to tell me about all this while walking the 12 blocks back to work.  He kept saying he felt like a million bucks, which is just how he felt after his little episode in the delivery room.  Apparently this was worse because some kidneys, especially those of people who eat fairly healthy and don't drink, reject the injected dye and want to stop it from getting to the brain, heart, lungs, etc.  No more CATs for Nick.

3 comments:

Jonathan, Mandy & the girls said...

I'm with Nick...I could handle labor anyday, but the most unpleasant aspect of it for me is the IV. They prick your wrist with this needle and they don't take the poky thing out for hours (sometimes days). I hate it. Glad Nick is good and hope the scan comes out all good too. Now are you having a boy or a girl?

Our Ohana said...

Wow glad he is okay now!!! Hope he's feeling better soon - you're going to need the help when little baby 3 gets closer to arriving! Love ya!

Meagan Kemp said...

I'm glad he's okay - whew. I must say though, I find it a little commical when I see these big tough guys who build houses and work on cars who can't handle needles and stuff. Good story. Tell us how it all turns out.