Monday, February 14, 2011

Acting My Age

Tonight I was a grown-up.  Tonight I played no bristle blocks, read no children's books, and watched no cartoons.  I did not change diapers or insist on anything ten times before it happened.  I didn't negotiate with toddlers or eat chicken nuggets.

Tonight I went to Canteen.
 I ate crab quenelles, celeryroot salad, and duck confit.  I had hazelnut custard and lemon croquettes.  The conversation was lively and mature.  It was political, financial; we talked about interests and goals.  I single-tasked.  I feel like it has been years since I single-tasked.
The venue was simple and small, San Franciscan.  All tables had a view of the kitchen, but my plate and my date were view enough.

My gift to Nick seemed meager by comparison.  But he thinks that Jelly Belly Dips may take over the world, so I guess that's pretty big.

1 comment:

Paul Rushton said...

Ooh, how special! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful evening. The menu sounded pretty tantalizing too. Love, Patsy