Tuesday, February 1, 2011

SFMOMA

If you can't pronounce my title, don't worry about it.

Today was free day at a few locations around the city.  I took the kids to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.  We saw mains d'oeuvres like this:
I've seen art like that before at a little museum I like to call The Home Depot.  I'm glad to have gone, but I admit to not having as fine an appreciation for modern art as may be preferred.

I did like one exhibit.  I believe it was called Sonic Shadows.  It was on the fifth floor and is a truss bridge that goes over the whole inside of the museum with open space all around.  Somehow, your footsteps translate into sounds like birds in a jungle as you cross the bridge and white, square paddles undulate slowly on each side, reflecting (creating, maybe?) the sound and giving the impression that the birds are flying around you.  It is living art.
This is the window above the bridge.  That art was scientific.  It was acoustic.  It resonated.  Loved it.  Typical.
After a lunch break and Curie's nap, we headed out to the Cartoon Museum.  I didn't really think that it would be as entertaining for kids as it could sound, but it was pretty much drudgery for them.  I hadn't considered that it would be mostly political cartoon originals.  If you know me, you know that I enjoyed them, but the kids kept me moving quickly through the frames.  There were a few original Looney Toons, but my kids are mostly Disney-philes.

All in all, I'm glad we went to these while here, but I am even more grateful that I did not spend the usual general admission price to see them.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Ha! I love the Home Depot comment. I may have to copy that one, because I've often felt that same way about modern art.