Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Plug for Power

I recently blew the dust off of a piece of my childhood with this favorite:
... and the accompanying music found here.

Every little kid should be listening to this music.  Check out the song titles:
  • 1. Attitude
  • 2. Trying Again
  • 3. Enthusiasm
  • 4. Determination
  • 5. Patriotism
  • 6. Industry
  • 7. Integrity
  • 8. Family
  • 9. Dreaming
  • 10. Courage
  • 11. Cheerfulness
  • 12. Caring
  • 13. Creativity
  • 14. Sportsmanship
  • 15. Overcoming

The title of this collection struck me recently.  I generally loath the word, "power."  I think of it as referring to power over someone, generally taken rather than given.  I think of power struggles and power grabbing, abuse of power and power hungry.  But look at those song titles again.  These are the sources of real, righteous power.  Enthusiasm.  Patriotism.  Industry.  Caring.

The book and music have been a real hit at our house.  My kids have me turn on the "tunes" and then sit with the book through the whole album.  The songs are then stuck in our heads for the rest of the day, but they're not annoying.  Instead, they are reminders to care and to overcome.

I can remember calling these songs and images to memory as a child when faced with decisions, and I've heard the same from others who also grew up with these.

I don't think that the book is published anymore, but buy a used one.  It makes the experience complete and more interesting for kids.  It involves them completely in the message, rather than as a passive song in the background.

And let me know how it goes over with your kids if you take my advice.  You won't regret it!

1 comment:

Our Ohana said...

I am definitely looking that up!