Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Consider Yourself Warned

If you are a mother who doesn't like to hear about other kids' accomplishments and think that some moms brag too much, pull the plug on your computer now.  I have been putting off writing this one up, but I don't really keep any other record, so I've got to post it.

Bethelle is reading.  OK, just a little, but it's real sound-out-the-word-and-say-it reading.  She doesn't know quite all the letter sounds yet and we haven't mentioned long vowels, but she's starting to get the hang of it.  We're doing the same program my mom used to teach me, Owls Eyes.  Nick is actually doing most of the teaching.  It's been coming on slowly, but a few nights ago she read the word "land" during story time completely on her own.  She also adds on her fingers, just make sure each number is 5 or less.  Good job, Bethelle!

2 comments:

Elise said...

That's awesome! Is that program available online? I'd love to check it out.

Good job!

Our Ohana said...

That's awesome! Good job, Bethelle! There's little more exciting and deeply satisfying than watching your child really learn something like that!
word or warning though - Savanna was an early reader, and now she is about to start Kindergarten knowing all the material... needless to say I'm a little worried about her being bored out of her mind and ending up in the corner for playing around too much. I don't even consider putting her up a year because in every other way she is just a typical 5 year old. I guess we'll see how this year goes... Just something to remember! You guys are awesome!