Thursday, July 3, 2008

Where'd You Get Those Peepers?

Today was the big day.  Nick and I took Rigby to Harrison Hospital in Silverdale for his strabismus repair.  What an ordeal!  I had thought I could handle it alone, but I am so glad Nick came.  Surgery support is a two-man project.

Poor little guy - he was so hungry!  You can't eat before anesthesia, but try explaining that to an 8 month-old.  I pretty much tried to hide from him for the hour before surgery, since I'm the source of milk.  Nick got him to sleep a little.
And here we are after surgery.  Dr. Cheung said everything went great.  Recovery was typical, they say, but not any fun.  He woke up from anesthesia quickly and just cried and squirmed and could not be consoled for almost an hour.  That's hard on a mommy.  He finally fell asleep and we went home.
After a good nap, he was good as new.  He's already acting like himself, playing with toys and doing his army-man crawl at top speed.
Isn't it amazing what can be accomplished with just 2 hours in the hospital?  He's a new man.

9 comments:

Lorraine and Kelly said...

He really is a new man, he looks totally different! He's so darling.

Tyra said...

ooohhhh! I know how hard surgery is, I swear it is harder for the parents than for the kid! Parker had surgery in December on his kidneys......I am so glad you all did well and Rigby is recovering well!

Ashley C said...

That's great! I'm shocked that they could fix it so fast! It was so hard for me not to feed Paige also. She was pulling on my shirt and she was so confused why I was not feeding her. Anyway, I'm so glad Rigby's surgery is done and that he is doing so well!

Christina said...

So beautiful! I can't wait to see you guys at the reunion.

JM Inc. said...

I'm so glad Rigby was a trooper. He's such a handsome little man. You guys are troopers too; I don't envy the position of taking an eight month old for surgery. We're so glad you're all okay and doing well.

Our Ohana said...

oh my goodness, what a sweet little guy! It's always sad to see your little one suffering, even if it's just for a few hours! It's great to see him looking happy again!

Kris said...

Poor little man! Was the surgery for his crossed eyes? He is looking very handsome!

Elise said...

I'm so glad it went well. I'm sorry it was slightly traumatic. I hate feeling like a helpless parent.

Melinda Jones said...

Oh, Elke, what a deal! I am sure that was so hard for you to feel so helpless. Aren't you so grateful for modern medicine though? What a handsome little man (both before and after the surgery). Give him a squeeze for me.