Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Merida in the House!

I have taken my kids to the movies.  I have.  OK, I have taken Bethelle to the movies.  And I'm pretty sure that I took Rigby once.  But it's hard to remember that far back.

Can you imagine me with a bunch of kids which has always included one person under two years-old, paying for each child to get in, bribing them to sit quietly (the youngest ones, anyway), fitting it into a time slot where everyone would be awake, and not having to leave early, having wasted the trip, the money, and breaking hearts?  I know, I know, it could happen.  But it doesn't seem to be worth the risk, for now.  Maybe when our young family enters phase two.

Since I did not take my kids to see Brave, I thought that it would be fun to have a little viewing party at our house on the day that it came out on DVD/Blu-Ray.  Each kid invited two friends.  I spent the morning picking up the movie and making Brave cookies.  Note: the refrigerated sugar cookie dough from the store does not hold its shape well when baked.  I made target and arrow sugar cookies and blue wisp meringues (they were bluer in real life).  The arrows were pretty popular and disappeared quickly.  Apparently meringues are not common.  Some kids were pretty nervous about those.
We set up mats and pillows on the floor and turned off the lights for the big show.  Our screen is pretty big, so I think it was a bit like a theater experience.  Not to mention that the best part of events in kids' lives is the anticipation, and there was plenty of that.

We had tons of fun, despite the fact that Curie's two friends both had to cancel at the last minute.  The kids really enjoyed the movie and I think I even enjoyed hosting.  When does the next Disney movie come out?

No comments: